Buddy Poppy Days
As Memorial Day grows nearer, it is also time to start planning for Buddy Poppy Days. This annual fund raiser is one of our largest, and its success depends on the participation of YOU, the members of Post 3873 and our Auxiliary. Each year we spend several days soliciting donations outside businesses throughout the city. Volunteers spend two hours per shift, interacting with the public, educating them about poppy days, and soliciting donations in support of Naperville Veterans. For 2018, we will be collecting between Wednesday May 23 and Sunday May 27.
Once again, we will have signup sheets posted on the North wall of the canteen. Like before, you can stop by and sign up for one or more slots. Each entry represents a two-hour slot on a specific day in front of a particular business. In addition to the paper signup sheets, this year we will also be using an online signup sheet so you can sign up for a slot from anywhere you have an internet connection. To try it out, go to:
and scroll through the list of locations, days and times. The “open” column shows how many people are needed for that slot. We will try to have two persons per shift at the train stations and big grocery stores, and one person per shift everywhere else. We need your name, telephone number, and email address. Most communication to volunteers will be via email.
The online signup sheet is available now. Paper signup sheets will be posted in the canteen at the beginning of April. During the April VFW and Auxiliary meetings, there will be training and a demonstration of the online signup.
Pick up your poppies and a collection can the day before your shift. Milk jugs are best. If you use a can, take the lid off the top (makes it easier for people to insert money). When you collect, here are some tips:
- Get to your location on time or a bit early. Wear your cover and anything to help identify you as a veteran or auxiliary member (shirt, vest, etc).
- Remember that we are not selling poppies, we are soliciting donations. If asked “how much?” the answer is whatever you care to donate.
- Remind people that 100% of funds collected goes to support veterans.
- Be proactive. Approach people entering or leaving stores and ask them “Do you want to support Naperville veterans?”
- Within 24 hours of collecting, turn in all of the money you collected to the bartender at the canteen (a plastic sandwich bag works well for this). Put a note inside with your name, when and where you collected, and how much you collected.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the committee chairs:
Bill Wood 630-420-2367
Nancy Marinello 630-464-3696
Julie Berkowicz 630-881-3139
Bob Colby 630-301-2664